Wednesday, June 29, 2011

RAISED EYEBROWS

"Raised Eyebrows", new expanded edition. Hooray, Hooray, Hooray!
This is the brand new cover for Steve Stoliar's revised and expanded paperback edition of his wonderful, hair-raising and ultimately touching book "Raised Eyebrows", to be published this fall by Bear Manor Media, chronicling his years as Groucho Marx's personal secretary and archivist, working inside the legendary comedian's Beverly Hills home, an eyewitness to history and Groucho's sad final years at the hands of the tempestuous Erin Fleming. In my opinion, it's the best book ever written about Groucho, or for that matter, any of the Marx Brothers (So, where's the Gummo book?) which is why it was a thrill for me to contribute the cover art. I also had the honor of meeting Groucho three times in the seventies, including spending an afternoon with my father and brothers in his house, making this book all the more personal and special for me.

The magnificent front and back covers were designed by Monte Beauchamp.

The back & front covers (Click to enlarge) Author Steve Stoliar is pictured with Groucho in 1974. Groucho's good friend Dick Cavett wrote the introduction.

Groucho inscribed this photo to Steve Stoliar, included in the book.

15 large, limited edition prints have been produced featuring my Groucho cover art (sporting his Captain Spaulding pith helmet): 




http://drewfriedman.net/prints/groucho-raised-eyebrows.html

2 comments:

  1. I like the way Groucho used to paint on a mustache when he was younger, but as he got older he grew a real one. I hope some day I can grow a real mustache.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Raised Eyebrows" is an excellent book, and finally, it has the snazzy cover it deserves! I own the original hard cover, but will be buying the book again for the updates, and of course, the NEW cover!!

    ReplyDelete